You have a serger and perhaps a cover-stitch machine. Now what? Join Candace to learn tips and techniques for using your serger and cover-stitch machine to make basic knit garments and home decor projects.
**Don't miss Amanda's lecture about knits on Saturday, June 25th, and purchase your fabrics at her Pop-up shop.*
The Reading Robe is a super cozy lounge garment suitable for all genders. This easy-to-sew pattern is drafted with a comfortable amount of ease and a casual drop shoulder. The pattern boasts three collar options, including a simple banded version, cozy shawl collar, or banded hood for the utmost comfort. Options include 4 bodice lengths: full, calf, below the knee, and mid-thigh. You can choose between slim or wide sleeves, 3/4 or full length, and fitted, slim, and wide cuffs.
Purchase, download, and print your pattern: https://sosewenglishfabrics.com/collections/patterns/products/copy-of-adults-reading-robe
Fabric Type and Yardage:3 to 4 yards of fabric depending on the length and pattern options you want. Most fabrics work well for this pattern. Sweater Knits, Hacci, French Terry, or Medium weight knits and Double Brush Polyester work well. **
Where to buy fabric: Shop at SoSewEnglishFabrics.com (their working warehouse is located in Oceanside or shop online with enough lead time to have it shipped.) Other stores do carry “Fashion Fabrics”.
Print your pattern at home: **Make sure your printer to “Actual Size” or 100% (no scaling)
Bring the following supplies to class:
- Print the US Letter pattern file on your home printer. Read the pattern Tutorial for how to put the pattern pages together and which pages to print. You may not need to print out the entire tutorial.
- Watch YouTube Tutorials for additional help such as https://patternniche.com/new-horizons-patterns-101/ (This file gives you general information on printing PDF patterns and printing optional “layers”.)
- Your pattern can be printed out on large sheets of paper: upload the AO file to www.pdfplotting.com OR www.patternprintingco.com. You can also go to your local printer but prices vary. **if you print out on large sheets then trace only the size you will use for the class using Pattern Ease or Swedish Tracing Paper (both are available at SMP)
- The fabric of your choice (If you are comfortable, you can cut out your fabric at home, otherwise we will cut you in-class)
- Serger with power supply and foot pedal and threading chart
- 4 spools of serger thread to complement your fabric choice (threads do not have to be the same colors but should complement your fabric
- Serger Feet: Standard Foot or Clear foot or Open-Toe Foot or Teflon Foot
- Needles: ELx705 needles or Jersey/Ballpoint needles size 80/12 or 90/14
- Cover Stitch Machine for topstitching/hemming (optional sewing machine hemming can be done at home
- Sewing notions for cutting, marking, and pinning fabric (Clover Clips recommended instead of pins).
- Double-eye needle, tweezers, scissors, fabric glue.
- Pattern weights are helpful for cutting out fabric using a rotary cutter, mat, and ruler.
- SewKeys-E double-sides fusible tape (green package) ½ inch to fuse hems in place before hemming.
Any questions, please contact the instructor (firstname.lastname@example.org)